Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Spike for the Win

The perfect popcorn

1. Follow the directions on the package for popping popcorn on the stovetop. If you already know how to do it, then just do it.

2. Put your delicious popcorn in a bowl- a big wide one is best.

3. Sprinkle on SPIKE, salt, and nutritional yeast.

Microwaved popcorn grosses me out. Plus, I heard there's Teflon in it. Because I don't eat it anyway, I'm not going to research to find out if it's true. You have to admit... there is something suspect about microwavable popcorn. The way the bag burns a little bit, the hardened butter oil that entraps the dormant kernels, the funky smell... even the color of the popped corn. I'll pass.

Stovetop is where it's at. I use about 2T (two tablespoons) of oil for a whole huge batch- enough to satisfy eight people. The best part is that it needs no butter. Seriously. I never put butter on popcorn, and I'm not the skinny type of woman who makes sacrifices. It just doesn't need it.

Spike and nutritional yeast. Both are available at the more healthy type of grocery stores- even the mainstream ones trying to keep up with the times. In Portland, that means Freddie's has it. I buy my yeast in bulk. Not sure if it comes in a jar.

We had some people from NYC staying with us, and I made some when we watched a movie. They were loving this style of popcorn. I doubt it's just a west coast thing, but I did start eating it this way in San Francisco.

Side Note: Some people put SPIKE on everything, but I reserve it for exactly two things: popcorn and salmon. For salmon, I just sprinkle a bit onto a filet before baking. I buy the no salt version in bulk when I can. Salt seems easy enough to add on my own, so why bother having it a product when you can opt out?

Oh yeah. You need to drink a lot of water when you eat popcorn this way. Something about not getting the benefits of the yeast if you don't drink water with it. IDK.

P.S.If eating yeast flakes weirds you out, I've never had any problems downtown. Just sayin'. TMI

No comments:

Post a Comment